The breeding stock should be selected when they reach 4 to 5 weeks of age. The breeder should be chosen from the biggest litter. In males, it’s very critical to see the existence of two testicles in the scrotum as testicles descend down in the body cavity at 12 weeks of age. Extensive Sort of reproduction:-
Weaning here practiced is 5 to 6 weeks and re-breeding soon after weaning. Does are therefore mated once every 2.5 months. This is the best suited for tropical countries like India.
- Semi intensive reproduction
Weaning is practised at 4-5 weeks old.
- Intensive reproduction
Weaning is at 4 weeks old. Mating is done immediately after kindling. Usually this practise is followed in western nations.
Always females should be placed to the pencil of male to avoid fighting. Mating should be performed during coolest portion of the day like early morning or late evening. After successful mating the male usually produces a normal cry sound and falls down on one side of the female. Shortly after the mating the male one needs to be removed from the cage. The male shouldn’t be more than 3 to 4 days in a week and not more than 2 to 3 times a day. The ratio of male to female is 1:10. Both the sexes should reach 70% of the adult body weight.
The breeding season is all but throughout year. But in India, autumn stress is encountered during hot weather.
Signals of heat in females
- They are spontaneous ovulators. Ovulation begins 10 hours after mating.
- In heat, the female bunny accepts man, otherwise it rejects.
- In heat, the female assumes a typical pose known as”lordosis” where the spine is arched downward and hind quarter is raised.
- The female one in di-estrous phage crouch in the corner of the cage.
- After kindling (parturition), the re breeding happens after a week in intensive management. But normally re-mating is shown one week before weaning.
- When temperature rises above 36 degree centigrade, temporary sterility occurs.